Halloween events in Essex: 18 great places to go this October half term
PUBLISHED: 08:49 28 October 2019 | UPDATED: 15:35 28 October 2019
Over the October half term Essex will be filled with spooky events that'll be sure to put you in the ideal mood for Halloween. Here are 18 great places for kids and adults alike
1) Pick your own Pumpkins at Foxes Farm Produce Basildon and Colchester - Until October 31
Entry to each patch and the use of their 'pumpkintastic' games is free, you simply pay for any pumpkins you pick. Entry to the corn maze is £3 extra.
2) Halloween Fun at Cammas Hall - Until October 31
Enjoy all sorts of Halloween-themed activities including pumpkin picking, a maize maze, face painting and much more.
3) Halloween at Mountfitchet Castle - Until November 3
Will you enter the witches' hovel? If you do and manage to escape after witnessing what's in there, have a go at the pumpkin trail or watch some medieval catapulting.
4) Halloween Special with Audley End Railway - October 25 - November 3
Take a haunted train ride deep into the forest to see the witches in their element and to discover many of the other ghouls hiding in the darkness.
5) Halloween Trail at Marks Hall Gardens & Arboretum - October 26 - November 3
Follow the trail past Marks Hall's screaming oak and its many other spooky corners and hidden spots. You'll even be able to take a munchkin pumpkin home with you.
6) Half Term Fun at East Anglian Railway Museum - October 28 - November 1
Decorate your own gingerbread man, carve a pumpkin and win a prize for your fabulous fancy dress while magnificent steam engines go about their daily business.
7) Spooky Day Out with Thomas at East Anglian Railway Museum - October 26 - 27
Thomas is usually the most polite and most useful engine you'll come across but this Halloween something is slightly amiss and it feels like there might be a rather spooky twist….
8) Halloween Drive-In at Barleylands - October 31
Get in the motor and have your popcorn ready to watch the slasher classic 'Scream'.
9) Halloween Trail at High Woods Country Park - October 26 - 27 and November 2 - 3
Pick up a trail map from the visitor centre and see if you can decipher the devilishly difficult Halloween puzzle. A treat may also be available for those in fancy dress…
10) Ghost Hunt at Harwich Redoubt Fort - October 31
All the latest technology will be employed to make contact with the various paranormal entities still lingering in the living realm of this historic fort.
11) Dr Gore's Spooky Mad Lab at Royal Gunpowder Mills - October 26 - November 1
Professor Nitrate is allowing his evil twin Dr Gore to take over for the Halloween period and you'll be able to join him in creating a range of spooky stuff to take home.
12) Spooky Fun at Cressing Temple Barns - October 26 - November 2
Test your resolve in one of the spooky rooms, have a dance at the zombie disco and fire off some arrows during pumpkin archery.
13) Spooktacular Skulls at Hollytrees Museum - October 31
Craft your own skull from clay just in time to be the perfect Halloween decoration for when the trick or treaters arrive.
14) Spooky Science at Museum of Power - November 3
The museum's very own mad professor will be in his best steampunk attire to delight you with his experiments and scary brand of fun.
15) Halloween at Maldon Promenade Park - October 26
This will be the second Halloween event at Maldon's park and will include a small maze, slime making, a photo booth and a spooky hunt.
16) Dungeon of Doom Escape Room - October 26 - November 2
Whatever you do, do not book the Dungeon of Doom escape room from Clue HQ in Brentwood - it might not be safe. (Wink wink).
17) Meet the Fenwick Ghosts at Colchester Castle - October 26 - 31
Receive 50% off children's entry and meet the spooky family who lived in Colchester during the Boudican Revolt.
18) Halloween Afternoon Tea at Down Hall Hotel - October 11 - November 4
As All Hallows Eve approaches, strange things are happening at Down Hall… be afraid, be very afraid! To mark the scariest night of the year, Down Hall is serving up a spooktacular afternoon tea for big and little ghouls.